Monday, April 24, 2017

Doing Time in Faerun

Let's be real here – we were skeptical.

Both 3rd and 4th edition were shit to our group. AD&D (and even 2nd edition when it was new) was our go to game. Personally, I had a soft spot for D&D '74 edition, even with all it's quirks/features. We passed on the latest edition for a while, until one day I was bored and needed something new to read.

Frankly, I was impressed. What I found was a system that took all the best parts of previous editions and cut the crap out. It was a fairly straight forward and simple system. I asked my 12 year old son – who I always ask about major RPG changes (He's been playing since he was 6 …) – is this something you'd like to play. He looked over the material and gave it a thumbs up. That was it. We were gonna give it a whirl.

Now being who we are and how we've been used to playing, could a bunch of grognards (Yes, even my boy counts, as he was weaned on the olde ways …) have any fun with proficiencies and feats? Could we adapt to all this background stuff? We rolled up old characters we used to play back in the day (The boy rolled up new characters because, well, his back in the day isn't as far back as ours …) and adapted them to all the new options.

Our first session was out-fucking-standing. The rules did not get in the way and served our method of play very well. There was room for roleplaying – even in combat – all throughout the session. We were all very familiar with the Forgotten Realms as it was our favorite setting (so much LORE!) next to Greyhawk. The changes to the Realms were briefly explained during the game through my favorite NPC, Adrix of Highmoon – a world traveller and expert storyteller.

The group is looking forward to playing again … I think we're hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Scrolls